Today’s the day we’re heading out. I’m excited and looking forward to the adventure. J’s a pretty good traveler so I’m not expecting any major issues along the way.
There are thousands of websites out there that talk about how to keep a toddler happy while on road trips. I’m not going to go through everything that I’ve read, but I’ll give you some info that’s worked for me.
- Take food….lots and lots of snacks. I care a lot about the food I give J on a daily basis, but the goal here is to keep child happy. I still provide healthy snacks, but I don’t care if he eats all day long, as long as he’s happy. Cheerios are my friend.
- Buy new toys. Go to the dollar store and buy some cheap kids toys and have enough for at least one new toy an hour. Give the child something new to play with every hour or so to keep him interested.
- Sit in the backseat with him…if you can. J is still rear facing and it would be difficult for him to go hours without seeing someone’s face. You can play games and sing songs to keep them happy. Plus, you’ll be there to pick up thrown toys and snacks instead of having to reach behind the seat from the front.
- Technology. I don’t really let J watch tv…maybe once every couple of months. So, any screen time is a thrill for him. We download movies onto our tablet and let him watch as much as he can. Again, the purpose is a happy toddler.
- Take frequent stops and let him run! I like to find a place to eat with a park nearby so that we can have a picnic outside and let J play for a bit. When you stop for gas, take him inside the station to look around a bit.
I always have the best of intentions to put together some great toddler busy bag to keep him happy, but I hardly ever have the time to make something. I’m too busy packing, cleaning, making lists, etc. But, there’s a ton ideas out there. Check my pinterest “kid-ideas” page for some toddler busy bags, or just do a Google search.
Happy traveling and wish us luck!
Get ready! Coming your way December 1st. Make sure to follow along and join in on the fun!