One of the quickest and easiest ways to connect with kids and build a wonderful relationship with them is to be playful with them.
Children’s natural language is play, so when we play with them we really are communicating with them. It’s the most perfect way to show them that they are loved and important.
But sometimes as adults we’ve forgotten how to play. I doesn’t come as naturally as it used to.
Our child asks us to play and instead of jumping right in and playing, we sometimes grunt and groan about it or push them away. We don’t do this because we don’t love them, but because play is harder for us and we have LOTS of other things to do besides “just play”.
But being playful doesn’t mean that we have to sit and pretend to play “shopping” or “fire station” for the one hundredth time that day.
I prefer to be playful as we go through our day.
- I sing songs when I great them in the morning (most of them made up on the spot)
- If they are having a hard time getting up, I jump on their beds and tickle them.
- I dance and sing while making meals.
- We chase each other around the house and outside.
- I mess up animal sounds “The duck goes oink!”
- We jump over the lines in the sidewalk together while walking.
- I say the wrong words in their favorite book.
- I make weird faces at them from across the room.
- We horseplay and wrestle.
- I give piggy back rides on the way to bed.
Now remember to always take your child’s mood in to consideration. If they are really grumpy then jumping on their bed may not be the nicest thing. Crawling in and cuddling might be a more appropriate response.
When we incorporate play in our everyday lives, the connection with our kids gets stronger which means that they feel more accepted and loved.
Plus, play is good for your soul too.
So, how do you play with your kids?
Some other great ways to play
Latest posts by Amanda (see all)
- 5 Podcasts That Will Change The Way Your Kids See The World (and that you’ll enjoy too) - August 18, 2017
- This One Simple Thing Can Make You Stop Nagging For Good - August 17, 2017
- Stressed By Clutter? Contain Everything With One Magic Basket. - June 8, 2017