Let me start with telling you how I use music every day with J. I often sing to J during diaper changes, getting dressed, in the car…basically any time he gets restless. I find that the music helps him settle and focus a bit more. We don’t watch TV in our house, but music is almost always on. We dance and sing throughout the day. I also have musical instruments for J and he will often take them out to play. The best is that he loves playing my piano.
Why music is important:
- Soft music, like lullabies, help soothe children.
- Moving to a rhythm helps with gross motor skills, timing, and understanding a pattern
- Builds gross motor skills like clapping, stomping, twirling, etc.
- Enhances language development by singing along and learning new words.
- Enhances early math skills.
- Great for cognitive skills and spatial reasoning
- Wonderful for enhancing memory.
- Makes children happy and is good for self-esteem
- Children who are actively involved with music are better able to focus and control their bodies.
- Helps them understand cultural events and holidays (like Christmas!).
Activity #15: Make Some Music!
Get out your musical instruments or make your own using pots and pans and empty containers filled with rice or beans. Play along with your favorite kids music. My favorite place for kids music is my Raffi station on Pandora Radio through my computer. It’s easy and a free way of listening to some great music! Dance and sing along to the music. I guarantee your children will Love it!
Tomorrow: All About Science!