When I was in my Mom Funk, I wasn’t doing a very good job of showing my kids that I loved them every day. I was taking out my funky emotions on them, and wasn’t the Mom I wanted to be.
Our relationship was strained and not in a good place. None of us were very happy. My kids were throwing more tantrums and weren’t listening very well. I was ranting and raving about every little thing. We were all pretty miserable.
I knew it was my job to fix it. I knew that if our relationship was better, we would all be happier.
So, I decided to make a change and pull myself out of my Funk. Along with finding ways to take care of myself, I also made a list of ways to love my kids.
So here’s my 25 ways to Reconnect with Kids.
- Tell them “I love you” first thing the morning. Make it the first thing they hear me say.
- Say “You’re my favorite 3 year old ever”.
- Say “Yes” more than “No”.
- Tell them that I appreciate them.
- Tell them that I love them at least 5 other times during the day.
- Talk about or day and make plans together.
- Physically get down on their level.
- Have eye contact.
- Say “Tell me more about that”.
- Ask questions about their stories.
- Turn off the computer, and put down the phone.
- Watch them as they play.
- Notice the good things they do.
- Pick my battles and quit nit-picking
- Focus on their feelings instead of their actions.
- Put down my list and make time to play
- Genuinely have fun.
- Have dance parties.
- Get messy
- Be silly together.
- Play outside
- Cuddle up with some good books.
- Touch their shoulder when they’re talking to me.
- Give lots of hugs…minimum of 5 a day.
I make a conscious decision every.single.day to find ways to connect with my kids. Some days I’m better at it than others. I have noticed that since I’ve started focusing getting out of my funk and reconnecting with my kids, that we are all so much happier and peaceful these days.
I’m always looking for ways to reconnect with my kids. So tell me how you do it!
Click the picture below to register for this free webinar!
Latest posts by Amanda (see all)
- 5 Podcasts That Will Change The Way Your Kids See The World (and that you’ll enjoy too) - August 18, 2017
- This One Simple Thing Can Make You Stop Nagging For Good - August 17, 2017
- Stressed By Clutter? Contain Everything With One Magic Basket. - June 8, 2017